sv-icon-copy-1Firefighters have issued a candle safety warning after a fire at a block of flats in East India Dock Road in Poplar last night.

A flat on the second floor of the building was completely damaged by fire. Four people left the property before the arrival of the Brigade. One woman was treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service crews.

The Brigade’s fire investigators believe the fire was caused by a candle left unattended.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.”

Top candle safety tips

  • Keep candles/tea lights away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire. Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles/tea lights when they are lit.
  • Always place your candles/tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candleholder
  • Make sure the candleholder holds the candle/tea light firmly and is on a flat and stable surface to stop it falling over.

The Brigade was called at 1800 and the fire was under control at 1925. Four fire engines and around 20 firefighters and officers from Poplar, Millwall, Whitechapel and Bethnal Green fire stations attended the scene.