A school is offering an award to a girl who would otherwise not be able to access paid education.
City of London Freemen’s School is offering one scholarship to a current year 11 girl (16+) who is looking to study Mathematics in the Sixth form, with a view to studying Mathematics or related disciplines at university.
“We can offer this scholarship thanks to a generous bequest from Mrs. Bhargava, whose long and successful career was a result of her own enjoyment of Mathematics,” said a spokesman.
“The Bhargava Scholarship could cover our complete School Day Fee and extras, if a family qualified financially, and if the girl met our entry criteria, in order that a deserving candidate from a financially limited background would not need to worry about covering transport, uniform and trips costs.
“We are actively looking to target potential pupils from the most deserving families in order that we can provide the most benefit. To this aim, we are starting to liaise with local maintained sector schools such as yours.
“The Scholarship will be offered to girls who live locally, ideally within fifteen miles of the school.
“Some statistics from our Mathematics Department, in order to give some context to the provision which we would be offering are as follows:
• This year, 44% of our students studying Mathematics in the L6 and 47% of students studying Mathematics in the U6 are girls.
• Last year, seven students went onto read Mathematics or a joint Mathematics course at university, whilst a further 21 students went onto read engineering, accounting or economics at university.
• This year, one pupil has gained a place to read Mathematics at Oxford; we have a tradition of students succeeding in going on to read Mathematics at both Oxford and Cambridge universities.
• Many students achieve Gold certificates in the Senior Mathematics Challenge, with pupils regularly qualifying for the Olympiad. Our students regularly come in the top three schools in Surrey when entering team competitions.
• The mathematics department has had a positive value added score at A Level for the past 14 years.
To apply for the scholarship, applicants will need not only to meet the criteria for the Scholarship, but also achieve the entrance requirements for Freemen’s Sixth Form.
“We will ask students to complete a questionnaire detailing why they wish to study Mathematics at A Level and beyond; students should also expect to be interviewed by relevant members of teaching staff; plus all applicants’ families will need to be means-tested.
For further information the Admissions office – call 01372 822444 or email email@example.com
Telephone: 01372 822400