Sutton youth team kick off season with three points

Roger Mills NEWS, SPORTS NEWS Leave a Comment

Sutton started their defence of the Ryman Youth League Central Division title with a hard-fought 3-1 victory at Chertsey recently.

Sutton started the game firmly on the front foot and should have taken an early lead when Kieran Rhule’s long range effort was parried away, then Lamar Fowlkes saw his strike pushed wide for a corner. Jean-Luc Kinsaba then pulled his shot wide after cutting in from the left, before Andrius Lucauskas saw his strike from the right parried by the keeper before being scrambled clear for a corner.

Crossley Lema was next to have a sight of goal but blasted over the bar from Seyi Aka-Bashorun’s corner, but in the 25th minute Sutton finally took a deserved lead after Josh Danquah was felled in the area and skipper Tom Mallett fired home from 12 yards out. Chertsey’s Ben Church then had a goalbound shot blocked by Aka-Bashorun as the home side briefly threatened, but at the other end Darnell Austin wsa quickest to react as Danquah’s cross was pushed away from goal and slotted his effort inside the near post. Danquah then hit the post and Aka-Bashorun’s shot was blocked as Sutton ended the half looking for a third.

It was the home side through that started the second half the stronger of the two sides and Church was denied a goal by an offside flag, but with set piece after set piece coming in Chertsey did finally pull a goal back as Alex Bowman’s header snuck inside the far post. Sutton struggled to regain the momentum even though Aka-Bashorun twice came close to restoring a two-goal cushion, and Mallett saw a header bounce of the bar but it wasn’t until the 89th minute when the points were sealed as substitute Tobi Adaje raced onto Mallett’s long punt forward and fired ruthlessly pastthe advancing keeper


For full details of all of the club’s activities go to SUTTON 

What do you think about this?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.