Citizens Advice Sutton (CAS) has obtained additional funding to deliver specialist debt advice. The additional funding has allowed the local charity to employ additional, specialist debt advisers and to give residents quicker access to debt advice.
CAS has a large team of specialist debt advisers who provide the full range of debt advice services including challenging debts, advising and assisting clients who wish to go insolvent and setting up repayment plans. The advisers are also able to help clients maximise their income based on their individual circumstances and budget to try and reduce spending where possible.
|Contact the Citizens Advice Sutton debt advice team:|
Telephone: 020 34631913 – 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday
Visit: Citizens Advice Sutton, Civic Offices, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA –
9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday
In 2016/17, the CAS debt advice team provided debt advice to 1057 individual people. The most common debts were rent, council tax and utility arrears, payday loans, credit and store card debts and court fines.
The specialist advisers in the CAS debt team are ‘Approved Intermediaries’ for Debt Relief Orders, a low cost form of insolvency. In 2016/17, the CAS debt advisers obtained 46 Debt Relief Order approvals for clients with total sum of £522,800.69 written-off.
|Is a Debt Relief Order a solution to your debt problems?|
A DRO may be available if you are in the following situation:
· Debts of less than £20,000
· Less than £50 in surplus income per month
· Don’t own your home and your assets, are worth less than £1,000 (some assets are ignored when working out the value)
· You don’t own a car worth £1000 or more, unless it’s one that’s been specially adapted because you have a disability
· you haven’t had a DRO in the last six years and aren’t going through another formal insolvency procedure, such as bankruptcy or an individual voluntary arrangement (IVA) you don’t own your home
You will need to pay £90 to the Official Receiver for a DRO the help from Citizens Advice Sutton is completely free.
Citizens Advice Sutton is a member of the Capitalise Consortium led by Toynbee Hall and funded by the Money Advice Service to provide face to face debt advice. CAS is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to provide debt advice. The specialist debt advisers provide clients with either a casework service or one off advice depending on their circumstances and abilities.