The traders in this list have demonstrated their commitment to trading in a fair, professional and honest way.
This is not an approved list. Sutton Council does not recommend the traders on the list. For full details of the terms of the list go to SAFE TRADERS SCHEME. If you do use a trader from this list, we would welcome your comments. Please complete the comment section on the website or complete a customer feedback form and return it to the Business Regulation Service address mentioned below.
Find your nearest safe trader below
Certain standards are required for a business to be included in the Scheme and these must be demonstrated. The business:
1. Must operate, but not necessarily be based, in Sutton and must have been trading for at least one year.
2. Must ensure its documentation complies with the requirements of the Business Names Act 1985 and the Companies Act 1985.
3. Should be aware of and committed to complying with its legal obligations, particularly under the Trade Descriptions Act 1968, the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, and Health and Safety legislation.
4. Must recognise that customer care plays an important part of being included on the list. The way a trader deals with a complaint is just as important as how it is finally resolved. Customer complaints should be dealt with quickly and courteously.
5. Should provide evidence of a complaints procedure. If the complaint cannot be resolved, the customer should be referred to the Business Regulation Service. Extra consideration and understanding should be shown when dealing with particularly vulnerable customers, such as the elderly.
6. Must provide five references relating to previous work in a consumer’s home, two of which must be in the London Borough of Sutton.
7. Must provide proof of membership of a recognised Trade Association or Registration Body and be committed to complying with any Code of Practice of that organisation. Alternatively, or in addition, the business must be able to demonstrate relevant experience.
8. Must have staff who have achieved a pass in a recognised training scheme or be able to demonstrate that their experience is equivalent to this. Evidence is required.
9. Will be committed to ensuring compliance with Building Regulations, Water Regulations, Gas Safety Regulations, Wiring Regulations, Health and Safety at Work Act, Clean Air Act, relevant British Standards or European, Asbestos Regulations and all other appropriate regulations and standards.
10.Should ensure that disturbances due to noise, vibrations, dust and smoke arising from demolition and construction works on all building sites, including the public highway, within the London Borough of Sutton, are kept to an acceptable level.
11. Will make known to the customer any call out charge prior to the visit being made.
12. Will provide to the customer a written schedule of works and a written quotation. Any charge for this schedule or quotation shall be made known to the consumer in advance.
13. Will give the customer an invoice or receipt showing full details of work carried out including parts supplied and labour and other costs.
14. Must be adequately insured to cover loss or damage to consumers’ property. Evidence is required.
15. Must ensure all staff dealing with gas are on the Gas Safe Register and must be able to demonstrate that they are so registered.
16. Must be registered with a scheme approved by the Department of Communities and Local Government for carrying out electrical work, and must be able to demonstrate that they are so registered.
17. Should be committed to acting in an environmentally responsible manner, using where appropriate, sustainable and energy efficient materials and disposing of waste according to the appropriate legal requirements.
18. Must ensure that no person is discriminated against or refused service on the grounds of age, race, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or religious belief.