Sutton Council is offering residents and businesses in the London Borough of Sutton the opportunity to collect 10kg of free grit per household/business.
Sutton Council is offering residents and businesses in the London Borough of Sutton the opportunity to collect 10kg of free grit per household/business* to use on footpaths, pavements or roads in front of their homes or business premises.
This year a booking system, a new location and a number of changes have been introduced to help the operation run safely and in accordance with Government guidelines designed to contain the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus). Please note that anyone visiting without a valid booking will not be allowed access to the site.
You can also collect grit for your elderly friends and neighbours or residents/businesses who don’t have cars.
The grit will be available from Denmark Road Car Park, Carshalton, SM5 2JE (opposite Victor Seymour Infants School), on:
- Saturday 21 November, 9am – 5pm
- Sunday 22 November, 10am – 5pm
*Proof of residency/business in the London Borough of Sutton will be required for you and any other household/business you are collecting grit for. Please bring along relevant council tax, business rates (NNDR) or utility bills for each household or local business.
If you are on an assisted waste/recycling collection, you can request delivery of a 10kg bag of grit to your home. Please call the Council Contact Centre on 020 8770 5000 by 21 November 2020. We aim to get grit bags delivered to residents by 1 December 2020.
Booking your visit
- To check availability and to book a slot please, complete our booking form here.
- Please note that you will need to book a slot in advance to collect your grit. Anyone visiting without a valid booking will not be allowed access to the site.
- To manage the queues, a number of booking slots will be available each day.
- You can collect grit for elderly neighbours and residents or businesses who cannot get to the site. You will need to provide proof of residency/business in the London Borough of Sutton (council tax, business rates (NNDR) or utility bills) for every household/business you are collecting grit for.
- Cars and small vans (a height barrier will be in place) can access the site if they have pre-booked.
- Residents walking or on bikes are allowed to collect a bag. Please note that ID is required and you may be required to wait during busy periods.
- Once a booking has been made and you enter the site for collection, an operative will ask you to open your boot (from the inside of your car) and staff will load the bag into your car. If this is not possible and you need to manually open the boot, please let an operative know before you exit your vehicle and they will assist in loading the bag into the boot in a safe way.
- We are asking residents to remain in their car if possible. These changes have been put in place to ensure the safety of yourself and our staff.
- You will be provided with one free grit bag per residential address. Please consider your collection method prior to arrival as each bag will weigh around 10kg.
- Anyone in self-isolation, with COVID-19 symptoms or who has been told to shield themselves because they are particularly vulnerable to coronavirus must not visit the site under any circumstances.
- Those advised to shield themselves because they are particularly vulnerable to coronavirus; or family, friends or carers of those asked to shield should follow government guidelines.